Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A few months ago we shared & celebrated our Black History month, and shortly after that we celebrated Black music month, and today-Well today I am just gonna speak on being Black, not African American,Negroe, or colored...I mean Black see as I was growing up, we went through those different stages and Black ( ha ha) was where it was at- I digress. Black is the most misunderstood color. A black tie dinner is very formal and elegant. Women can wear that "must have little black dress" to the black tie dinner. Yet the bad guys wear black hats. Black symbolizes death in some cultures. Native Americans thought black was good because it was the color of soil, which gives life. Yet I have come to notice in recent years that we as a people are falling back into a trap that should have been gone forty or fifty years ago. We as a people have been called many things: we have been called Negro, African, Colored, Black and now African American. But let’s keep it real. I feel that you are reading the words, but you are not feeling me. Are you feeling me?Well allright then! The only time we refer to ourselves as African American is when we are writing a paper for call or putting something in the newspaper for the most part we call ourselves Black. Use of the term “black” dates to the 1960s and 1970s and the civil rights movement. The Black Power movement advocated strongly for the use of “black” to replace the outdated “negro,” and many Americans of African ancestry started to embrace the term. Others preferred “Afro American,” an early blending of “African” and “American.” In the 1980s, “African American” began to see common usage, and the term quickly became very popular. But Most People I Know Still use Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment